Active Healing Centre
Last night I attended a webinar at The World Massage Conference on kyphosis. It was presented by Katy Bowman, who is world-renowned for her expertise on the topic of postural realignment.
I was told about the webinar by our Pilates instructor –Carol Robbins, as she is a Restorative Exercise Specialist. Carol recently completed her certification in this field and adds specific exercises to her Pilates program, to always keep it interesting.
THINGS I’VE LEARNED
- I’m learning how to walk again, using long-neglected muscles as I stretch my calves.
- Shoes are a detriment to posture, as the body alignment gets shifted.
- Shoes with a negative heel are preferable, but difficult to find.
- Improper footwear can lead to back pain.
- Walking barefoot helps relax your feet while you reclaim your posture.
THINGS I SHOULDN’T DO
- Assume that chronic pain is natural.
- Ignore it and hope it goes away.
WHAT I CAN DO
- Stretch, Stretch, Stretch.
- Walk, stand, and move your muscles.
- Take a Pilates alignment class.
- See a Restorative Exercise Specialist, who can help you realign your body.
See your doctor if the pain persists or doesn’t go away within a day or two.
See your therapist if treatment is recommended.